Thursday, May 15, 2014

May 2014 Birchbox Review




Birchbox is a $10 monthly subscription box that consists of makeup and lifestyle extras. The lifestyle extras have been anything from candy, tea, headbands to chapstick and vitamins. Each month, you will get 4-5 deluxe/full size samples and you can earn points by going online and reviewing the products in your box (it's really easy! and you get 10 points per review). The points can be redeemed for full size products, accessories, phone cases, bags, etc... in the BB shop (*post to come showing what I got with my points!).






Now, let's talk about the box:

What my May box looked like upon opening...TA-DA!

For the month of May, BB paired with Kate Spade "Saturday" - a new KS line. In the box, there was a $25 off $75 purchase - which after looking online, I am SUPER excited about because there are a lot of great things $100 or under that fit my budget after the $25 off. Sorry, I'd share the code but I'm almost positive it's single use and I'm selfish. 



Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in "Coral Crush" | Full size, $8         

I have never purchased any Pixi products before, but I have looked around at Target at the brand. I was pleasantly surprised that BB decided to include a full size product in this month's box! After testing this product, I really enjoy it. I think the color works well for my skin tone and it is perfect for summertime lips. It is decently pigmented and doesn't have a sticky feeling to it. There is no shimmer/glitter (yayyyy!) and has a decent amount of product in the tube. I'm really glad I can purchase these at Target, too, because at $8, I'm looking forward to buying more!
Hi, i'm pale. 





Supergoop! SPF 30 | Sample size $3, Full size $19

Supergoop! is a brand that is featured often in BB boxes. Last summer I got some sunscreen from them (kind of like this one) and have used it a few times. There is no real smell to it, which is great, and it is very light. I often use it on my face because it doesn't make me break out and gets the job done.  Would I buy this product? Maybe. I enjoy this brand, but I can get $5 sunscreen at the drugstore down the street that probably works just as well. However, I do enjoy this little sample size because I can always keep it in my purse or whatever. 

Whish Shaving Cream in "Acai Grapefruit" | Sample size $5, Full size $20

Oh lawdddd this sample could not have come at a better time, I just ran out of my shaving cream and was resorting to shaving with my body wash (which really, wasn't too bad!). I have sampled Whish products through BB before and have loved them! This cream is nice because it is paraben and sulfate free (yay!) and smells suuuuper awesome. Definitely a product I'll keep in mind when cashing in my BB points!


Smartypants All- in-One Gummy Vitamins | Sample size $2, Full size $30

Uhmmmm...YUM. These were de-lish! However, the $30 price tag is not de-lish... I would definitely purchase these if they weren't so pricey!! This was my lifestyle extra this month.


Caudalie C15 Overnight Detox Oil | Sample size $5?, Full size $65

Okay, so this is my downer moment of this post. I am not happy about this sample. It's not even the actual sample, it's the size. How am I able to try out this product fully and form an opinion on it with only two uses? C'mon, BB..... Anyhow, I'm not very partial to face oils...they kind of freak me out, I mean, who wants to ADD oil to their face? There is no distinct smell, which is nice, but with the $65 price tag.....I couldn't bring myself to do it, no matter how much I liked it... until I have a big girl job...which will probably be like 10 years. 


Verdict:
I paid $10 for an estimated $23 worth of products. While this month didn't wow me, I am happy with the samples I received (minus Caudalie). I like BB because it allows me to try products I normally would never try or be willing to spend the full size price for just to see if it works for me. Overall, I think BB is a great value and is worth the $10!




If you'd like to learn more about Birchbox, click here
*I purchased my BB subscription with my own money, all thoughts/opinions are my own.
**Birchbox,  I am not above receiving free boxes....
Until next time,

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment