Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Let's Talk About: Healthy Hair!

No, my hair does not always curl this perfectly (why I had to document this moment)

Hair. It's something that has become SO important to have look good at all times. However, it's something that happens to look bad more frequently than good (like, idk, it looks perfect right before you're about to shower, but not before an important event). But, much more often, it's due to lack of care/ proper maintenance. Many people are guilty of not paying attention to what chemicals are in their products they use as well as not knowing what brush works best for their hair type. Well, all of these are very simple fixes! Like getting fit, growing hair long/strong takes time, so if long hair is what you desire, don't get frustrated! Just make the necessary changes and wait :) I'm going to give you some helpful tips that I use in order to grow my hair out and keep it long and strong!






Products I use:

Macadamia "Deep Repair Masque": I use this bad boy once a week (usually every Sunday because it's the end of the week). I let it stay in my hair for 7 minutes, then rinse out. This product is amazing in many ways. 1. It smells awesome 2. It does it's job (it replenishes hair, making it look shinier and healthier) 3. A little goes a long way (I've been using the same one since March and I am not even half way done). Learn more.



Garnier Fructis "Pure Clean 2 in 1": I used to be anti-2 in 1's because I thought they didn't clean your hair correctly, however I have really come to like this product. I like this product for multiple reasons: 1. It smells great (I love the smell of Garnier products) 2. It's good for if I need to take a quick shower 3. It's a clarifying shampoo, which means it gets rid of all the gunk you've put in your hair (perfect for if you go to a party and uhm....don't wash your curled/hair-sprayed hair until way later because you've suddenly come down with the...uh....stomach bug. Learn more.

PS. I sometimes use another conditioner after I use this if I want to feel like I had a better wash.


Bed Head "Self Absorbed" Shampoo & Conditioner: I kind of picked this stuff up on a whim when Target had their big sale and these babies were b1g1 free, so I got two of each. They smell pretty nice and are normally used in salons, so I like to think that they clean my hair nicely. my hair doesn't get weighed down with this stuff, so that's a plus! Learn more.


Nutiva Coconut Oil: Coconut oil makes a great hair-mask in order to repair and replenish your damaged hair. 1-3 times a month, I cover my hair in coco oil, put it up with a clip and let it sit there for about 20 minutes, then shower like normal. The only trick is that your may need to use more shampoo than normal so your hair is not oily after showering. You can also add heat with a hairdryer to let it melt in your hair. I got mine from GNC, but you can really get it anywhere. Learn more.

 
Not Your Mothers "She's a Tease" Volunmizing Hairspray: I don't use hairspray very often, so this has lasted me awhile. It also smells pretty nice and it gets the job done with little spraying! Learn more.

Not Your Mothers "Clean Freak" Dry Shampoo: This stuff is perfect for in-between washes (you're not supposed to wash your hair EVERY day!) Added bonus: it volumizes! Learn more.




Brushes:

Goody "Quickstyle": This brush is AWESOME. It soaks up water after your shower, so it takes less time to air-dry AND de-tangles your hair. It is amazing and I absolutely recommend it. I have also used the comb, but I didn't like it as much. Learn more.


Paddle Brush: Your brush is so important for your hair. However, I currently need a new brush (just being real here!). This brush has been good to me, but I need to replace it because it's old. However, I do like this style and will probably just get the same kind because it's perfect for long hair.

* Every person likes different styles ff brushes (depending on your hair type), find what works for you! However, I would recommend getting a  wide paddle brush with nice bristles if you have long, straight/wavy hair.  Learn more.


Extra Tips:

Fish Oil: Ok, I know what you're thinking, "GROSS!" There are a lot of myths that it tastes bad, makes your burp fishy stuff, etc... Well, I am here to tell you, it does. BUT! That's only if you get the wrong kind. You have to get the kind with an enteric coating. All of the pills I've taken with this coating 1. do not smell bad 2. do not taste fishy 3. don't make me burp. Fish oil is excellent for your hair/nails...and your heart! Learn more.



NO heat/Treatments: You are killing you hair. I honestly don't have a nicer way to put it, you're killing it. Heat is so bad for your hair. My mom blow dries, straightens, curls her hair daily and yet she wonders why it won't grow. Treatments like dyeing, highlighting, perms, are also killing your hair due to the chemicals. Now, I'm not saying I never curl my hair, because I do. But, 1. it's not often at all 2. I use a heat protector 3. that's the only heat I use on my hair (I let my hair air-dry after the shower).

Regular Haircuts: You are supposed to get a trim every 3 months. However, I, personally never abide by this just because I go when my hair looks damaged (which, okay, that may not be the best advice, but it's honest). I just think that you can go more than 3 months, to each his own! Just make sure you get your haircut regularly after you discover what works for you.


Water: Drink it! Water makes everything go 'round, especially hair. Drink your recommended amount and see your hair change for the better.



DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!
It's easy as pie to pick a product that smells and looks promising, but! that product may have some toxic ingredients for your hair. Stay away from products that have these chemicals:

Sodium Laure Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Tea, Mea, Dea
Propylene Glycol
Aluminum
Ammonium 
Formaldehyde 
Parabens 


* I think you should avoid them if at all possible, however, one of these in a product isn't going to kill your hair entirely. Be weary of products that have more than 1, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment